Thursday, February 12, 2009

Scrambled

-learning that in medicine, the Sister Mary Joseph nodule or node, also called Sister Mary Joseph sign, refers to a palpable nodule bulging into the umbilicus as a result of metastasis of a malignant cancer in the pelvis or abdomen.

-singing sister mary in the elevator and the attending physician turning to me and saying "wow you're musical/oddly vocal today"

-learning that A.'s cancer will not be cured/contained by conventional therapy.

-feeling helpless again.

-debating whether I should tell A. Whether he will accept it coming from me. Whether it will make a difference for him to know or not.

-getting stuck behind a sukleen/garbage truck from 8 to 8.20 pm in the middle of Hamra.

-ending my day early.

Sister Mary, By Joe Dolan

Sister Mary,can you tell me,is there any use?
Sister Mary,I've been praying what else can I do?
She's been gone seems so long,I want to have her home
Sister Mary reassure me help me to go on
Tell me don't try to spare me pain
Will she be coming home again
Sister, I feel so afraid.
All my life I cared so much for her
All my life is nothing if I'm left without her
Tell me why I just can't let her go...Sister I feel so afraid
Monsieur Thompson, there she's sleeping the doctor's here today
There seems to be no change in her that's all he had to say
But late last night she spoke to me she said she loves me so
Monsieur Thompson, don't you worry she'll soon be well I know
Tell me don't try to spare me pain will she...
Monsieur Thompson, I am sorry please don't cry... don't cry please don't cry